This is not an article about fashions for dogs (ha…ha… fooled ya’, although Halloween is coming and we at mymagicdog should really say something about dressing your dog in silly costumes, but we’ll refrain ourselves). This is about what breeds of dogs are in fashion right now. Of course, our all time, absolute favorite “breed-most-in-fashion” […]
If you have a dog, you love him or her. Yet, as much as we like to “humanize” our beloved canine friends, they are really, really, really . . . not human (gasp!), nor are they cuddly little humans wrapped in fur (more gasps!). Thus, at some point or another, we bump up against […]
Popularity in dog names, as with those for children, change over the years. Dogs of yesteryear were often descriptive of a dog’s particular traits (e.g., Barker) or reflected some common attribute of dogs in general. For example, the name Rover, a popular name before leash laws, is rather indicative of the dogs of that era […]
1. According to a recent survey, the most popular name for a male dog is Max; for female it is Bella. Other popular names include Molly, Sam, Zach, and Maggie. 2. An American Animal Hospital Association poll showed that 33 percent of dog owners admit they talk to their dogs on the phone or leave […]
Cloned dogs are in the news again, because two of them, named Cosmo and Retro, are supposedly “terrorizing” the upper west side of Manhattan. According to news reports, Gary Rintel, 45, a self-described “trust-fund layabout,” loved his dog Astro (a short-haired collie/Great Pyrenees mix) so much that he paid $140,000 four years ago to have […]
1. What is the difference between a pedigree dog and a dog’s pedigree? 2. What’s the difference between a cross-bred dog and a mutt (mongrel)? 3. What is a “cur”? 4. What countries have cities that (tried to) ban dogs? 5. What is the Dam? 6. What is the Sire? 7. What is a […]
Seven strange, but true, facts about dogs.
Bonnie and Clyde weren’t the only ones caught after a crime spree. The photo here of my neighbor, Patti Cole, and her two chocolate labs (note their names!) aren’t exactly criminals, although they are mischievous. Visiting with them, I am reminded of an amazing crime that was solved because of a dog’s nose. Not, as […]
We do love our dogs (and cats). Just note the fact that in the preceding years of our recession, the only expenditure that steadily increased were those paid for the care of our pets. Some of us dress them up, talk “baby talk” to them, adorn them in collars with diamonds, color their fur, and […]
Subscribe to My Magic Dog
- Dog Ownership: An Infographic
- Cannabis for ailing pets
- Lost Dog? Electronic savior to the rescue!
- Review: The Best Food for Your Dog (Did yours make the list?)
- A Service Dog’s Purpose
- Solving Dog Behavior Problems
- Help for Grieving Dogs
- Man and Man’s Best Friend: We’re More Similar Than We Think
- Service Dogs in Action
- Happy Valentine’s Day!